Quinta de Paços, Sociedade Agrícola, Lda
Rui Walter Cunha
25 ha vinha (200 ha total)
Alvarinho, Loureiro, Fernão Pires, Arinto, Vinhão...
Casa e Quinta de Paços
Santa Eulália de Rio Covo
No Distributor Data
The Casa de Paços has belonged to the same family for more than 400 years and 15 generations, maintaining a tradition of expertise on wine making in the region of Minho which has been lasting for more than four centuries. The remotest references to the Casa do Capitão-Mor and Commendam of Boavista, in Mazedo, Monção, date back to the XIVth century, its owner then being Affonso de Novaes, a knight of the king Afonso III. The fact that a few centuries later, in 1640, the owner was Francisco Soares de Castro, the high-commander (Capitão-Mor) of Monção, accounts for the present name of the property. The Quinta de Paços vines are grown in a number of estates – Quinta de Paços, Casa do Capitão-Mor (Monção), Prazo da Cotovia, Morgadio do Perdigão, Quinta de Vila Meã and Morgadio de Real – covering an area of around 200 ha. The composition of the soil in these estates ranges from the calc-alkaline granites with a porphyritic texture to the schist (in smaller areas). Likewise, the grounds benefit from different types of exposure to sunlight which are essential to the production of quality wines. In the Casa do Capitão-Mor/Quinta da Boavista, in particular, the calc-alkaline granitic soil, covered with round pebbles – identical to the Chateauneuf-du-Pape ‘terroir’– is greatly valued for the production of high-quality wine. In the XIXth century the two main estates of the company – Quinta de Paços (Barcelos) and Casa do Capitão-Mor/Quinta da Boavista (Monção) – had already gained international prestige, attested by the most ancient prizes known in the region of Minho: the prize awarded to the Quinta de Paços wine in Philadelphia, on the occasion of the USA Centennial Exhibition held in 1876, where it was considered very good both in taste and “bouquet”; the two prizes awarded to the Quinta da Boavista/Casa do Capitão-Mor wine at the Exhibition of Portuguese Wines in Berlin in 1888. More recently, a special mention must be made of the prizes Wine Masters Challenge, those awarded by “Decanter Magazine”, (Silver, Bronze medals), AWC Vienna (silver medal), by “Revista de Vinhos and by “Wine Passion”, as well as the one conferred by the Comissão de Vitivinicultura da Região dos Vinhos Verdes (C.V.R.V.V.) (the Viticulture Board of the Vinhos Verdes Region).